January is over and the new year’s resolutions are falling by the wayside. As the bad habits start to creep back in and motivation starts to go out the window, it’s time to regain a fresh perspective on things and take a strong dose of determination. Here are 10 small changes you can make to lead a healthy, happy life.
1. 5-A-Day – Boost your fruit and vegetable intake, aiming for 5 a day. Taking the bad foods out isn’t enough to be healthy, you have to make sure you’re getting enough of the good stuff too.
2. Keep Good Company – Surround yourself with nice, positive people who make you feel good. Your environment shapes you, so make sure you put yourself in the right place with the right people.
3. Take The Stairs – Instead of taking the elevator or escalator, take the stairs as often as possible. Walking up steps is great cardio and is an an easy way to get in some extra exercise throughout the day.
4. Make Your Own Food – Forget about getting lunch and dinner out and prepare your own meals at home instead. Not only will you control what goes into your food and how big your portions are, you’ll save money as well. Win win!
5. Ditch Liquid Calories – Soft drinks, juices, and smoothies can all contain high levels of sugar, so if you want to reduce your calorie intake then stick to drinking water throughout the day.
6. No Technology Before Bed – The blue light that is emitted from laptop, tablet and phone screens affects our ability to sleep, so switch off all technological devices before bedtime and read a book instead.
7. Take Lunch – Many people don’t leave enough time to take a proper lunch break, or they eat their lunch at their desk. Break the bad habit and start taking a full hour, making sure to get outside and stretch your legs in the fresh air for at least 10 minutes.
8. Healthy Snacks – Replace unhealthy snack options such as chocolate and crisps with healthier choices such as hummus and carrot sticks, peanut butter on rice cakes, or plain unsalted popcorn. Your body will thank you for it in the long run.
9. Eat Slower – Eating your meals slowly aids digestion and helps you to lose weight, so stop shoveling food into your mouth and take a gentle, leisurely approach instead.
10. Spiralize – Use a spiralizer to make courgetti or carrot spaghetti and use it to replace the carb element of your meals. You’ll reduce your calorie intake and add more veggies into your diet making this change a no brainer.