Getting to fall asleep can be the most difficult task in the world when you have bedtime anxiety. Here are some tips to sleep better and avoid insomnia!
There are nights when you feel tired. Your body is heavy. You just want to hit the bed, call it a day and fall asleep. You get under the covers… But no! Your mind stops you, and you get the feeling it’s going to be another sleepless night. Has this ever happened to you? Has anxiety struck you as soon as you hit the pillow, leaving you unable to catch a well deserved rest? Well then you should try these 10 simple ways to sleep better every night!
01. Breathing Exercises. Lets start with something fun! When you get in bed, try breathing in sync with this image:
02. Avoid Caffeine and Nicotine. This may be a given, but many people don’t respect this rule or they don’t realize they are breaking it. Drinking excitants after a certain hour can affect your sleeping pattern. Some carbonated drinks (such as Coca-Cola) actually contain caffeine! Read all labels before consuming something that could be influencing your body rhythm.
03. Eat a Banana. One of the best sleeping tips experts give is to eat a yoghurt or banana before going to bed. They contain magnesium and carbohydrates, which respectively help fighting anxiety and sleep problems. To find out more about this topic, you can also read this article:
5 Ways Food Can Solve Your Poor Sleeping Habits.
04. Get a New Pillow. That old, lumpy pillow has got to go! Consider buying a pillow with great support, and getting a silk cover for it. It’s great for your skin, and feels fresh and comforting when you lay your cheek on it.
05. Unplug. Turn off all electronic devices, and place them away from your bed. You’re never going to fall asleep if you keep checking your Facebook feed every five minutes!
06. Sleep Mask. Lights can sometimes be distracting, and are best kept away from your eyes. Consider buying a sleeping mask if your curtains don’t shut off all light sources and you live in the city.
07. Gratefulness List. Fill your mind with positivity: make a mental list of things you are grateful for before going to bed!
08. Music to Help you Sleep. Find the right music to help you sleep better at night. Here is an 8 hour long video from our YouTube Channel. Head on over and subscribe to it if you haven’t already:
09. Lavender. Sip on some lavender tea, and enjoy some lavender essential oil on your bedside stand or pillow. Its aroma will relax you instantly!
10. Take a shower or bath. Wash away your sweat, stress and tears! End the day with a feeling of cleanness and purity; it will make your bed so much more inviting.
I hope you enjoyed these sleeping tips and ways to sleep better. May they be of help in fighting off your bedtime anxiety, and may you have pleasant dreams every night!