The quest to discover who we are and what to do in life is a never ending one, as soon we think we have it all figured out suddenly our ideals, virtues and desires alter completely. As we grow and mature throughout our lives what we want continuously changes and who we want to be is extremely uncertain territory.
The good news is you’re not alone – knowing what to do in life and figuring out your life purpose is a challenge everybody faces and the truth is there’s no set way to getting to the truth of the matter. If we found what the real purpose of our life was, life wouldn’t have any point or meaning, the fun is in finding out! So with that in mind, here are a few ways that can change your life and set you on the right path to self discovery.
1. Immerse yourself in things that you love and surround yourself by all the things that encapsulate the essence of ‘you‘. This doesn’t mean you should stick to your comfort zone or not try new things, but a good way to get to where you should be is to enjoy where you are right now. Don’t be afraid to be an individual, every single person has numerous amounts of unique traits and quirks, use them to your advantage and don’t be afraid to be yourself.
2. Create the kind of world you want to live in. Whatever it is you believe in, wish for and desire – make it happen! Your life is the product of the decisions that you make and the actions that you take, there is no reason you should be living a life that isn’t for you. Know who you are and do what you want to do with confidence, this is the only way to ensure you get to the right place.
3. Change your life if it isn’t going the way it should be. Nothing in life should ever be miserable – if you are unhappy with someone or something, remove yourself and change direction. You will never discover your life purpose if you are unable to move forward and continue to stay in places where things aren’t right. If it doesn’t work, move on and find something that does.
4. Design a collage or an inspiration wall somewhere in your house to remind yourself of your goals, aspirations or passions in life. If a collage is too much for you, just buy a notebook and every time you see something that you love or that motivates you, write it down. Having mentors and people that you look up to in life is a great thing if you find the right people, so learn from others and keep note of the important details.
5. Open yourself up to new challenges and opportunities. When we learn new things and stretch ourselves in life we experience personal growth. The more you experience in life, good or bad, the more you learn about yourself and who you are. Make plenty of mistakes but make sure you learn from each one and benefit from the things that don’t work out by discovering what will.
Above all else, when you want to know who you are and what to do in life, the best way to find out is simply to listen to yourself. It’s something we all fail to do at times, we ignore warning signs, our gut, our intuition, and instead make decisions based off other factors that we deem to be more important at the time. Follow your instinct, make decisions with a long term vision and do what you really feel is right, not just think is right. This is the only way to grapple with the cumbersome task of discovering who we are.